Serve as a side salad or enjoy as a main dish.
• 4 small yellow or red beets, trimmed
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 4 cups mixed salad greens
• 8 pitted dried plums, halved
• 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
• 1/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place beets and water in small baking dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil; bake 45-60 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; peel skin off beets. Cut each beet into 8 wedges; set aside. In small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. In large bowl, combine mixed greens, dried plums and beets. Drizzle with Vinaigrette; toss to coat. Arrange salad evenly onto 4 salad plates. Top each with cheese and pistachios. Tip: One 16 ounce can whole beets, drained and sliced may be substituted for 12 oz of fresh beets (4 small).