by Jan McBarron MD, ND (Natural Remedy News)
Over the course of a lifetime, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
Early detection is important. Monthly breast self-examination and annual gynecologic exams play a large role in early detection. Nutrition plays a role in prevention and recent research shows that fish oil can be a very powerful natural remedy for preventing breast cancer.
Researchers at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, WA studied 35,016 postmenopausal women in a study called ‘Vitamins and Lifestyle’ (VITAL). After six years at follow up, researchers concluded that regular use of fish oil supplements were associated with a 32% reduction in the risk of breast cancer. Furthermore, the reduction in risk appeared to be seen in regard to invasive ductal breast cancer, the most common type of breast cancer.
Fish oil continues to encourage many, as additional studies emerge regarding its protective prevention of cardiovascular disease and now cancer.
It should be noted that this study was associated with the use of fish oil supplements containing DHA and EPA – this benefit was not seen by simply eating fish. It is important to remember that not all fish oil supplements are the same, and in selecting a fish oil supplement, be sure to look for one that contains high amounts (usually 1 gram) of the Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA, but is free of mercury and contaminates.
Dr. McBarron’s Natural Remedies for Breast Cancer:
1. Eat foods high in B-vitamins, calcium, and iron, such as almonds, beans, whole grains (if no allergy is present), dark leafy greens (such as spinach and kale), and sea vegetables.
2. Eat cruciferous vegetables (such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower).
3. Eat antioxidant foods, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).
4. Avoid refined foods, such as white breads, pastas, and sugar.
5. Eat fewer red meats and more lean meats, cold-water fish, tofu (soy, if no allergy is present) or beans for protein. You should eat quality protein sources, such as organic meat and eggs, whey, and vegetable protein shakes, as part of a balanced program aimed at gaining muscle mass and preventing wasting, a common side effect of cancer therapies.
6. Use healthy cooking oils, such as olive oil.
7. Reduce or eliminate trans fatty acids, found in commercially baked goods such as cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.
8. Avoid caffeine and other stimulants, alcohol, and tobacco.
9. Exercise, if possible, 5 days a week.
10. Take a Fish Oil Supplement: Vita Logic Fish Oil is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids including DHA and EPA. It is derived from Nordic coldwater fish which provides the purest of fish oil supplements. Vita Logic Fish Oil does not contain mercury or other contaminates and therefore is sometimes preferred over adding fish to the diet. Also, Vita Logic Fish Oil is a soft gel capsule which reduces or eliminates any “fish oil burp.”
More detailed information on breast cancer including signs and symptoms, causes and treatment options click here: Breast Cancer
Over 100 Condition Specific Natural Remedies by Dr. McBarron click here: Natural Remedies