A study conducted by the University of California, San Francisco, and the Harvard School of Public Health found a new link between brisk walking and lowering the risk of prostate cancer progression! That’s right… a brisk walk can fight prostate cancer! The subjects of this study were 1,455 American men, diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer.
Findings noted these men were 60% less likely to experience recurrence of prostate cancer or needing a second round of treatment for the disease. Subjects in the study walked for at least three hours per week, at speeds of at least three miles per hour. “The important point was the intensity of the activity—the walking had to be brisk for men to experience a benefit,” says Erin Richman, ScD, the first author of the study published in the journal, Cancer Research. “Our results provide men with prostate cancer something they can do to improve their prognosis,” she states.
Prostate cancer is a significant killer among men, as in 2010, 32,050 men died of this disease! Following skin cancer, prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed type of cancer found among men in the US. More than 217,000 men are given the news that they have this condition every year according to the National Cancer Institute. Hence, prostate health is paramount to men’s total health and to those who depend on their men to provide for their families.
While there is no way to prevent prostate cancer, there are things you can do to at least reduce your risk of developing this killer among men. Diet is an important factor in the development of most cancers, and it’s no different for lowering the risk of prostate cancer. The following are some suggested nutritional guidelines to follow to help us avoid the onset of the disease:
- Eat Sensibly and Eat Balanced Meals. As with all healthy choices, portion control, watching calories and avoiding saturated fats, can reduce the risk of prostate cancer. The highest rates of this disease are found in countries where diet is high in fat consumption, including excessive red meats and fried foods.
- Eat Your Fruits and Vegetables! Fruits and vegetables are so good for us! Whether it’s lowering our risk of heart disease, cancer or just helping us to feel better day-to-day, they really are nature’s recipe for healthy living. Vegetables like spinach, asparagus and some types of beans are rich in folate, a beneficial B vitamin. Broccoli, kale and cabbage contain diindolylmethane, a nutrient believed to reduce the occurrence of prostate cancer.
- Choose Whole Grains. Whole grain breads, cereals and brown rice are all better choices for lowering our cancer risk.
- Lower Alcohol Consumption. Excessive drinking increases the risk of aggressive prostate cancer. While regular heavy drinking is a problem in itself, prostate cancer is just one more reason to cut back to no more than two drinks per day.
- Supplements. Vita Logic Prostate Formula is specifically formulated to benefit men’s prostate health. This supplement contains a synergistic blend of nutrients and herbs at therapeutic levels, nourishing the prostate gland and easing the symptoms associated with declining prostate health. The blend helps to repair and restore prostate function through cell support, immune enhancement, and antioxidant protection. With ingredients that are backed by scientific research, this formula is ideal for men who suffer from a poor functioning prostate. Similarly, Vita Logic Men’s Formula and Vita Logic Master Blend for Men both offer gender-specific nutrients for prostate and overall men’s health. With all-natural formulas, including essential vitamins and minerals every man needs for healthy body function, these supplements can offer men an easy way to get what’s lacking in their regular diet.
So, here’s to prostate health! Take that brisk walk today, watch your diet, take your supplements and stay alive!