There are lots of claims out there for all sorts of weight loss formulas and supposed panaceas in healthy alternative foods, medicines and supplements. So, how to interpret all the claims and the “too good to be true” stories? Well, first don’t believe all you read or hear! As much as we’d all like to find that one pill or drink or fountain of youth cure for all that ails us, the truth is, it just doesn’t exist…at least not yet! What we can do is stick to the basics of good health, which include a nutritious diet, exercise and supplements that work! The açaí berry (pronounced: ah-sigh-ee) is one of those supplements that does work…it just can’t work alone. So, use this supplement as one tool in the toolbox for weight loss, but don’t expect this “super food” to do all the work for you!
The açaí berry is a “super-food”. What do we mean by that? First, it’s a natural fruit, grown typically in Brazil and used throughout history for medicinal purposes because it’s loaded with antioxidants, essential fatty acids, phytosterols, amino acids and fiber. Sounds pretty good so far!
Let’s go through each of these beneficial properties of the açaí berry to get an idea of how they contribute to better overall health and weight loss:
- Antioxidants. There continues to be good news about the benefits of antioxidants in our diet, including boosting energy and metabolism and the ability of antioxidants to fight the free radicals that plague our bodies. A healthy metabolism equals higher energy and spurs our fat burning cells to work more efficiently. Nothing wrong with that!
- Essential Fatty Acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are being hyped as “super components” in “super foods”. Omega-3s can’t be manufactured by the body so it’s vitally important to consume these fatty acids in some form, be it in foods or as supplements. Essential fatty acids are found in great quantities in oily fish, such as tuna, salmon and mackerel, in some fruits and vegetables, and in olive oil and flaxseed. If you don’t particularly like these food choices, it is important to take supplements of omega-3s in açaí berry products or in fish oil supplements.
- Phytosterols. Phytosterols play a significant role in reducing cholesterol. Found naturally in plants, this steroid alcohol is being used in cholesterol-lowering foods and spreads for improved heart health. Açaí is an outstanding choice for getting these cholesterol-lowering substances into our bodies. More efficient blood flow leads to better health and a leaner body!
- Amino Acids. Proteins are the building blocks of muscle and these proteins are made up of amino acids. Muscle tone and development allows us to burn fat more efficiently. More muscle equals less fat. Also, a proper supply of amino acids from the açaí berry and from other food sources increases our stamina, helping us to exercise longer and stay lean.
- Fiber. We all know how beneficial natural fiber is to proper digestion. How our bodies process what we take in has a lot to do with weight gain and loss. Appropriate intake of fiber suppresses appetite and leaves us with that “full feeling.” Our foods must be digested in an efficient way so that we get the nutrients we need and eliminate what we don’t need. No point in going into a discussion of waste…let’s just say fiber helps clean us out!
Looks like açaí is a winner! Again, it’s not going to accomplish every goal you have in weight loss or in maintaining a healthy, happy body, but it is a wise choice to include in a daily regimen of proper diet, exercise and supplements.