Quiz: Are you at risk for diabetes
Are You At Risk?
To find out if you’re at risk of developing type 2 diabetes, take this quick quiz from the American Diabetes Association.It’s even more important for African-Americans, Native Americans, Asians, and Latinos to take the test, because diabetes is so common in these groups.
(Add up the number of points given for each “yes” answer. Count each “no” answer as 0.)
1. I am 20% more than my ideal weight. Yes (5)
2. I am under 65, and I get little or no exercise during the day. Yes (5)
3. I am between 45 and 64 years of age. Yes (5)
4. I am 65 or older. Yes (9)
5. I am a woman who has had a babyweighing more than 9 lb at birth. Yes (1)
6. I have a sister or brother with diabetes. Yes (1)
7. I have a parent with diabetes. Yes (1)
If you scored 3 to 9 points: You are probably at low risk for having diabetes now. You may be at higher risk in the future, though, so don’t forget about it.Maintaining a healthy weight and exercising regularly can help you reduce your risk.
IF you scored 10 ormore points : You are at high risk forhaving diabetes. See your doctor, and find out for sure.